Mohammad Asif Hussain
Professor, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, King Abdulaziz University
|Degree||Field of Study||Institution||Year|
|PhD||Biomedical Engineering||IIT Bombay||1994|
|From - To||Institution||Title||Full or Part Time|
|2005-2009||P.A. College of Engineering||Professor & Head||Full|
|2004-2005||University of Illinois at Chicago, IL, USA Departments of Bioengineering and Orthodontics||Asst. Professor (Research)||Full|
|2001-2004||Pennsylvania State University Hershey, PA, USA Department of Surgery and Biomedical Engineering Institute||Postdoctoral Fellow||Full|
|2000-2001||Yeshiva University, Bronx, New York, USA Albert Einstein College of Medicine||Visiting Scientist||Full|
|1998-2000||IIT Bombay, India||Asst. Professor (Pool Scientist)||Full|
|1997-1998||Sree Chitra Tirunal Institute for Medical Science and Technology (SCTIMST), India||Asst. Professor (Pool Scientist)||Full|
|1995-1996||National Cardiovascular Center Research Institute (NCVC), Osaka, Japan||STA Fellow||Full|
|1993-1994||IIT Bombay, India||Research Associate||Full|
Non-Academic Experience (Including Consultations)
Funded Research Projects and Patents From The Last Five Years
- Project No (15-MED5025-03) (KACST, KSA) Approved 2017
National Science, Technology and Innovation (NSTIP)
Title: Biomaterials for Wound Healing and Diabetic Ulcer Treatment Diabetic proposal
Completed Research Supports:
- Project Number: 11-NAN1544-03 (KACST, KSA) 1-1-2014 -- 30-9-2016
National Science, Technology and Innovation (NSTIP)
Title: Synthesis and characterization of conductive nanocomposites (enhanced material) for nanoengineered bone tissue engineering
- Project Number: 8-NAN132-3 (KACST, KSA) 25-06-2011 – 24-06-2013
National Science, Technology and Innovation (NSTIP)
Title: Fabrication and characterization of GaN-based nano-structure devices
Certifications and Professional Registrations
Current Membership in Professional Societies and Organizations
|Society for Biomaterials & Artificial Organs, India||Life Member||1997|
|Society for Biological Chemistry (SBC), Bangalore, India||Life Member||2007|
|Saudi Scientific Society for Biomedical Engineering (SSSBME)||Member||2011|
Honors and Awards
1988 GATE (Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering) an All-India Examination conducted by the five IITs and IISC, Bangalore, on behalf of the Ministry of Human Resources Development (MHRD), Government of India, to identify meritorious and motivated candidates for admission to Postgraduate Programs in Engineering at the National level. Qualified in GATE-88
1991 NATO-ASI Fellowship awarded by NATO (North Atlantic Treaty Organization) to participate in the extensive workshop on the “Frontiers in Cardiovascular Engineering” held in Spain.
1995 Science and Technology Agency (STA) Fellowship awarded by Japan International Science and Technology Exchange Center (JISTEC) and Research and Development Corporation of Japan (JRDC).
1997 Senior Research Associate ship awarded by the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR), India
1997 Young Muslim Scientist Award in Biological Sciences Awarded by The Muslim Association for the Advancement of Science (MAAS), Aligarh, India
1998 Junior Investigator Award for a research paper “Quantification of blood hyperviscosity in hypertension and its regulation“ presented in the “Third International Symposium on Atherosclerosis, Thrombosis and Transfusion”, New Delhi, India
2007-09 Summer Research Fellowship-2007-2009 awarded jointly by Indian Academy of Sciences (Bangalore), Indian National Science Academy (New Delhi), National Academy of Science (Allahabad).
Institutional and Professional Services
B.S and M.S. curriculum development for BME stream of ECE department at KAU
ABET committee activities and related services
On Editorial Board “European Journal of Medical Sciences” http://www.ejmsonline.net/home/
On Editorial Board “Trendz in Biotech” A ICBio publication, Bangalore, India
Reviewers for the Journal of Artificial Organs, USA; JKAU: Eng. Sci. KSA; YJES: Eng. Sci. KSA
Principal Publications/Presentations from the Past Five Years
- Junmin Lee et. al. (2019). Nanoparticle-Based Hybrid Scaffolds for Deciphering the Role of Multimodal Cues in Cardiac Tissue Engineering ACS Nano, online in October 2019 ahead of print.
- Fallahi, Afsoon; Mandla, Serena; Kerr-Phillip, Thomas; et al. Flexible and Stretchable PEDOT-Embedded Hybrid Substrates for Bioengineering and Sensory Applications. CHEMNANOMAT, 5(6), pp. 729-737 Published: JUN 2019
- Abudula Tuerdimaimaiti, Saeed Usman, Memic Adnan, Gauthaman Kalamegam, Hussain Mohammad Asif, Al-Turaif, Hamad (2019). Electrospun cellulose Nano fibril reinforced PLA/PBS composite scaffold for vascular tissue engineering. JOURNAL OF POLYMER RESEARCH, 26 (5).
- Alkhateeb Abdulhameed, AlAmri Jumaan, Mohammad A. Hussain. Healthcare Facility Variables Important to Biomedical Staffing in Line with 2030 Saudi Vision, Saudi Soc Syst & Ind Engn. (2019) INDUSTRIAL & SYSTEMS ENGINEERING CONFERENCE (ISEC)Published: 2019
- Alkhateeb, Abdulhameed F.; Sahhari, Fahad A.; Hussain, Mohammad A. A Pilot Study of Biomedical Engineering Shared Service for Hospitals in Madinah Munawwarah. IEEE; Saudi Soc Syst & Ind Engn. (2019) INDUSTRIAL & SYSTEMS ENGINEERING CONFERENCE (ISEC)Published: 2019.
- Fazal Khan, Musab Aldhahri, Mohammad Asif Hussain, Kalamegam Gauthaman, Adnan Memic, Adel Abuzenadah, Taha Kumosani, Elie Barbour,Nazeeh Shuja Alothmany, Rabah Wasil Aldhaheri (2018). Encapsulation of 5-Flurouracil into PLGA nanofibers and Enhanced Anticancer Effect in Combination with Ajwa-Dates-Extract (Phoenix dactylifera L.). Biomed. Nanotechnol. 14, 553–563.
- Al-Shawafi WM, Salah N, Alshahrie A, Ahmed YM, Moselhy SS, Hammad AH, Hussain MA, Memic A. (2017). Size controlled ultrafine CeO2 nanoparticles produced by the microwave assisted route and their antimicrobial activity. J Mater Sci Mater Med. 28(11):177. doi: 10.1007/s10856-017-5990-8.
- Hani A. Alhadrami , Musab Aldhahri, M. Sh. Abdel-Aahab, Mohammad A. Hussain, G.H. Sewify, Aftab Ahmad, Mohammed Zourob, Esam I. Azhar (2017). Nanofiber Scaffold Coated with Ag and ZnO Nanoparticles for Treatment of Methicillin Resistant Staphylococcus aureus, American Journal of Nanomaterials. 5(1), 24-30. DOI: 10.12691/ajn-5-1-4
- Kai Zhu, Su Ryon Shin, Tim van Kempen, Yi-Chen Li, Vidhya Ponraj, Amir Nasajpour, Serena Mandla, Ning Hu, Xiao Liu, Jeroen Leijten, Yi-Dong Lin, Mohammad Asif Hussain, Yu Shrike Zhang, Ali Tamayol, and Ali Khademhosseini, (2017). Gold Nanocomposite Bioink for Printing 3D Cardiac Constructs, Funct. Mater. DOI: 10.1002/adfm.201605352
- Su Ryon Shin, Tugba Kilic, Yu Shrike Zhang, Huseyin Avci, Ning Hu, Duckjin Kim, Cristina Branco, Julio Aleman, Solange Massa, Antonia Silvestri, Jian Kang, Anna Desalvo, Mohammed Abdullah Hussaini, Su-Kyoung Chae, Alessandro Polini, Nupura Bhise, Mohammad Asif Hussain, HeaYeon Lee, Mehmet R. Dokmeci, and Ali Khademhosseini, (2017). Label-Free and Regenerative Electrochemical Microfluidic Biosensors for Continual Monitoring of Cell Secretomes. Sci., 4, 1600522.
- Arghya Paul, Vijayan Manoharan, Dorothee Krafft, Alexander Assmann, Jorge Alfredo Uquillas, Su Ryon Shin, Anwarul Hasan, Mohammad Asif Hussain, Adnan Memic, Akhilesh K. Gaharwar, Ali Khademhosseini, (2016). Nanoengineered biomimetic hydrogels for guiding human stem cell osteogenesis in three dimensional microenvironments, Journal of Materials Chemistry B. 4, 3544.
- Memic, H. Alhadrami, M.A. Hussain, M. Aldhahri, F. Al Nowaiser, F. Al-Hazmi, R. Oklu, A. Khademhosseini, (2015). Hydrogels 2.0: Improved Properties with Nanomaterial Composites for Biomedical Applications, Biomedical Materials, 11(1):014104. doi: 10.1088/1748-6041/11/1/014104.
- A. Gaharwar, A. Patel, A. Dolatshahi-Pirouz, H. Zhang, K. Rangarajan, G. Iviglia, S-R Shin, M. Hussain and A. Khademhosseini (2015). Elastomeric nanocomposite scaffolds made from poly(glycerol sebacate) chemically crosslinked with carbon nanotubes, Biomaterials Science, Vol. 3(1), 46-58 (Published online on 01 September 2014, DOI: 10.1039/c4bm00222a.)
- P. Khalid, M. Hussain, P. Rekha, A.B. Arun (2015). Carbon nanotube-reinforced hydroxyapatite composite and their interaction with human osteoblast in vitro. Human & Experimental Toxicology, Vol. 34(5), 548–556
(http://het.sagepub.com/content/early/2014/09/11/0960327114550883) on line (2014)
- Mohammad A. Hussain, Rabah W. Al-dhaheri, Ali Khademhosseini, Adnan Memic, Faten Al-hazmi, Nazeeh S. Alothmani and Hani Al-hadrami (2015). Characterization of fibrous scaffold using quantitative nano-mechanical mapping mode of Atomic Force Microscope. International Journal of Basic and Applied Biology, 2(6), 364-367.
- A. Alzahrani, A. H. Alzahrani and M. A. Hussain (2015). Non-Invasive Assessment of Microcirculatory Dysfunction in Type 2 Diabetes Patients with and without Ulcers in Western Province of Saudi Arabia, Indian Journal of Science and Technology, Vol 8(22), 56500.
- P. Khalid, M. Hussain, P. Rekha, C. Sanal, S. Suraj, M. Rajashekhar, V. B. Suman, Sangappa and A. B. Arun (2014). Interaction of Carbon Nanotubes Reinforced Hydroxyapatite Composite with Bacillus subtilis, P. aeruginosa and C. albicans, Indian Journal of Science and Technology Vol. 7 (5), 678-684.
- D. Banerjee, R. Adari, S. Sankaranarayan, A. Kumar, S. Ganguly, R. W. Aldhaheri, M. A. Hussain, A. S. Balamesh, and D. Saha (2013). Electrical Spin Injection using GaCrN in a GaN based Spin Light Emitting Diode, Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 103 (24), 1-4.
- P. Khalid, M. A. Hussain, P. D. Rekha, and A. B. Arun (2013). Synthesis and characterisation of Carbon Nanotubes Reinforced Hydroxyapatite composite, INDJST, Vol. 6(12), 5546–5551.
- P. Khalid, M. A. Hussain, P. D. Rekha, V. B. Suman, and A. B. Arun (2013). Modifications of Carbon Nanotubes for Bio-applications and Toxicity Evaluations, J. Environ. Nanotechnol., Vol. 2 (1), 70-74.
- T. Patil, N. Pande, R. Adari, P. Suggisetti, N. Raorane, S. Ganguly, R. W. Aldhaheri, M. A. Hussain, and D. Saha (2012)."Cl2/Ar Based Dry Etching of GaCrN using Inductively Coupled Plasma", Journal of Nanoelectronics and Optoelectornics, Vol. 7, 1-4.
- A. Kamath, T. Patil, R. Adari, I. Bhattacharya, S. Ganguly, R.W. Aldhaheri, M.A. Hussain, and D. Saha (2012). Double Channel AlGaN/GaN High Electron Mobility Transistor with Back Barriers. IEEE Electron Device Letters, Vol. 33, No. 12, 1690-1692.
- M. Anaul Kabir, Mohammad Asif Hussain and Zulfiqar Ahmad (2012). Candida albican: A model organism for studying fungal pathogens, ISRN Microbiology, Vol.2012, 1-15.
- Smita Amarnath, Mohammad A. Hussain, Vidyanand Nanjundiah and A. K. Sood (2012). b-galactosidase Leakage From Escherichia coli Points to Mechanical Damage as Likely Cause of Carbon Nanotube Toxicity. Soft Nanoscience Letters, Vol.2, (3), 41-45.
- Mohammad A. Hussain, Nazeeh S. Al-othmani, and Rabah W. Aldhaheri (2013): Nanoimaging: A Nanotechnology Perspective of Receptor-Ligand Interaction. In: Nanotechnology, vol. 12: Bioimaging, Shishir Sinha and Naveen Kumar Navani (Eds.), J.N. Govil (Ex. Ed.), Stadium Press LLC (P.O. Box 722200, Houston, TX 77072 - U.S.A.). pp. 27-44. ISBN : 1-62699-012-3; SERIES ISBN : 1-62699-000-X
- Khlaid, P., Hussain, M.A., Rekha P.D., Suman V.B. and Arun A.B. (2012): Modification of carbon nanotubes for bio-applications and toxicity evaluation. In: Nano Biomaterials, Rajendran V., Prabu P. and Geckeler K.E. (Eds.), Bloomsbury Publishing, India Pvt. Ltd., (London, New Delhi, New York, Sydney), pp. 155-160.
Selected Papers Presented/Published in Conference Proceedings
- Mohammad A. Hussain, Rabah W. Al-dhaheri, Ali Khademhosseini, Adnan Memic, Faten Al-hazmi, Nazeeh S. Alothmani and Hani Al-hadrami (2015). Characterization of fibrous scaffold using quantitative nano-mechanical mapping mode of Atomic Force Microscope. In: Proceedings of International Conference on Advances in Biomedical Engineering, Cancer Biology, Bioinformatics and Applied Biotechnology (ABECBAB-2015), 25-26 July 2015, JNU, New Delhi.
- Abdelmoamen K. Aljehani, Mohammed A. Hussaini, Mohammad A. Hussain, Nazeeh Sh Alothmany, and Rabah W. Aldhaheri (2014). Effect of Electrospinning Parameters on Nanofiber Diameter Made of Poly (vinyl alcohol) as Determined by Atomic Force Microscopy. In: MECBME 2014, 2nd Middle East Conference on Biomedical Engineering, held in Hilton Hotel, Doha, Qatar, (IEEE listed conference) February 17-20, 2014, pp. 379 – 381. DOI: 10.1109/MECBME.2014.6783283
- Akhilesh K. Gaharwar, Alpesh Patel, Alireza Dolatshahi-Pirouz, Hongbin Zhang, Kaushik Rangarajan, Giorgio Iviglia, Su-Ryon Shin, Mohammad A. Hussain, Ali Khademhosseini (2014). Carbon Nanotube as Crosslinking Agent within a Polymeric Network. One page paper presented at the 36th Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC’14), August 26-30, 2014 at the Sheraton Hotel & Towers, Chicago, Illinois, USA.
- Rama Adari, Debashree Banerjeey, Swaroop Ganguly, Rabah W. Aldhaheri, Mohammad A. Hussain, and Dipankar Saha (2012). Characteristics of Ferromagnetic Schottky Diodes on Heavily n-Doped GaN Semiconductor, 978-1-4673-5696-1/12 IEEE Xplore 2012.
- Paper presented in ISI listed conference AMEE (2012). Submission ID is IWNO-47 and titled is "Cl2/Ar Based Dry Etching of GaCrN using Inductively Coupled Plasma" (ISI listed conference) http://iwno.iwamee.com/JNO.html
Recent Professional Development Activities (Workshops, Trainings etc.)